La Chaux-de-Fonds is the cradle of Swiss fine watchmaking. In 1887 Georges Eberhard, then aged 22, founded the Eberhard & Co Watchmaking Manufacture there.
From the very outset, the Firm specialized in the manufacture of technical watches, producing its first wrist chronograph in 1919. This complication would later become the firm’s specialty.
Eberhard & Co’s skills rapidly became known outside Switzerland. Eberhard & Co. timepieces could be admired on the wrists of wealthy clients, Italian Royal Navy officers and sportsmen alike.
When international trade recovered after the Second World War, Eberhard & Co. launched the Extra-Fort, a collection which still enjoys resounding success today.
During the 1970s, at a time when a large number of watchmaking manufactures were closing down, Eberhard & Co. found the strength to resist thanks to the visionary spirit of one man – Palmiro Monti. He was an Italian entrepreneur who bought Eberhard in the firm conviction that after the quartz era, fine watchmaking would make a comeback and be stronger than ever before.
Events proved him right and from the early 1980s onwards, mechanical watches were once again amongst the most popular luxury items.
Under his leadership, the firm enjoyed a new lease of life. In 2001, faithful to its reputation as a chronograph specialist, it brought out one of the most innovative models ever: the patented Chrono 4, the first chronograph with aligned counters.
Eberhard & Co. is a benchmark for high-end watches and chronographs, and remains one of few independent watchmaking firms.
The collection of Eberhard is available at Jeweler Harry Tromp in Amsterdam.